Right now, I am so sleepy that I think I may die at this computer. But I want to catch up on my blog, because I want to. Alright with everyone? Great.
Anyway, there is a reason I am so tired, and that's because of sleep lackage. This weekend we spend almost 24 hours couped up in Niggli, dieing over and over by the Tech from you know where. We get there at 11:30; it doesn't start until 12:45. I kid you not, they were on about the 4th scene out of 13 around 5 o'clock. You'd think it was over, and then they'd say, "do that again. We have to get the music right." Everyone mutually agreed - this is the longest tech. Ever.
Light guy blamed sound guy, sound guy blamed light guy. On top of it all, everyone was mad at each other and emotions were ramped. We went to Subway, and Chris and I were bickering when someone came up to the trash can and said 'Excuse me,' because I was in front of it. I was too busy arguing to notice, and Chris said, "say you're sorry." In which I thought he was telling me to apologize to him, and not to the other guy. Which I refused to do, and then Chris had to apologize for my bad manners, and then he made fun of me and then I cried for no real reason other than I was so tired of this stupid tech, and WHEN DOES IT DIE? We went outside and "why *sniff* are you *sniff* so mean *sniff* to me? *cascading tears falling from eyes*"
Next day was better, for it was two runs and only a little tech (we had to finish off the first day). They had a dress parade, and stuff. Wasn't so bad; but it still was a very long day. Chris, Volpi and I ate at the Chinese Buffet. I hate Chinese Buffets, but I endured it and stole all the shrimp from the shrimp and vegetable dish. Which was 5 shrimp, so it wasn't that much. A 5 year old brought us our drinks. She could only carry one at a time and had to ask us 6 times what we wanted. As much as I hate children, it was sort of cute.
Yesterday, was much, much better. Kind of. Peter fussed all the actors out for having absolutely no focus. One of the actors suggested that the tech join in the warm-up exercises to create "a feeling of unity," or something in other. I hope everybody forgets this idea because I would rather take the skin of my legs and make it into roof shingles than do warm-up exercises. It's not that I'm proud; it's just that there are some things I am comfortable with and other things I am not comfortable with, and group warm-up exercises are in that category.
I know that's silly. "You're an actress, get over it." Well, acting with some set plan and making weird guttural noises are two very different things. In the end, this is what it boils down to: I feel insecure looking like an idiot. No, I know, I know, you would never think this. But in essence, I am a very shy person, and unless I know the people who surround me well, I hesitate in doing a lot of things. Like being social or crazy.
Anyway, last night was the first night we used real, raw, meat, and Chris had to hold it (getting blood all over his hands) and I pitied him greatly for once. Because even he doesn't deserve that.
Afterwards, we stopped at the gas station to share the swirly gummy bears I had bought, and then the gas flowed out of my gas tank, and Chris was afraid that my car or the gas station would catch fire or something, so we took all the left over water bottles in his car and poured it all over the spill, and then I found a gallon jug of water in my car and we poured that. My car did not catch fire, but it was all thanks to Chris being the modern day McGyver with his water bottles and his Maglight that he didn't use, but I know he has.
Today we had a function thing for the show. I went to it before my art lecture. I mostly sat behind a table, because there is something about advertising that I loathe. I hate selling stuff; does any one really want or need vidalia sweet onions? No. So when I say, "why hello ma'am, I have some delicious onions for sale," I feel ridiculous, because no one really wants to buy your stupid onions. I someone came up to me and said, "why hello ma'am, I have some delicious onions for sale," I would be thinking Please, get me away so I do not have to buy onions. Oh please, please, please dear please, I can't tell this girl 'no, I don't want to buy your onions.' And then you're out $10 bucks, but you're left with a bushel of onions.
So; advertising a show and selling onions is two different things. But still, people loathe your presence when they see you. You are suddenly repulsive to the world because you are selling something people don't want. Everyone else had fun with it. Chris sprouted off the weirdest lines, "if you're going to go to the clock tower to avoid me, I'm going to come get you." And "if you're tired of hearing me yell, then come see Romantic Fools." Like I said, I sat behind a table and didn't hand out a single flyer. In help with the promotion, they had Tara give out free sexual innuendos. Fortunately, the health center was all out of condoms when they went to get them this morning, so I didn't have to pass those out. Flyers are one thing; condoms another.
To the modern man, I may seem a little prudish. And I am. Sometimes, when I'm backstage, and I hear all the personal details of everyone's sex life, I just sit there and I pray to God for two things. First of all, for comfort, and then for some sort of intelligence, because I'm definitely not getting it at the moment. Time and time again, I have to explain that I really don't know what a vibrator looks like, I don't need birth control, and, yes, I'm a virgin and yes I'm making that choice. So, in this aspect, I am not as experienced. And although I do not know if I'm a 'screamer' or not, I do know that a human and a monkey can not have a baby, which was actually a question posed.
All in all, I have enjoyed working this show. I have enjoyed the new friends I've made, I enjoy my table moving duties, and I enjoy, at times, watching the show. Everyone does a good job, and although I definitely can say this sort of show is not my pleasure, it has been fun.
I leave you with the trailer. I don't think you can see it unless you're on Facebook, but I dunno.
Chris thinks he looks like a pervert; I agree.
-Me
No comments:
Post a Comment