23.9.10

"Way to go Rachel. Way to steal our thunder."

Sitting here, before my art class begins, writing a blog.  I have so many lovely things to discuss; not of any great importance, but there you go.

I actually got a "THAT WAS GOOD, RACHEL"  on my Charleston dance.  I'm convinced it's because I sold it. You know, cheesy smiles, over the top.  Basically, my foray.  Volpi and Chris were upset, because they had this epic ending planned.  Instead of posing in some normal way at the end, they impersonated Narnia:


Chris would be in front, as the polar bear; Volpi, in the back as the White Witch

They did it about six more times so someone would notice, but I'm not sure if the ever did.  So, for compensation, they are going to do it at the Dance Showcase.  By themselves, and hopefully without the spandex.

They are currently on the quest of finding my blog; you, my readers, must make sure this never happens.

And Uncle Scotty; I loved your birthday message.  It was my favourite; hence why it was listed first.  I just told Brett that to make him feel significant in this world.  P.S.  I am very disturbed that you know how to find certain Vinylmations by the weight and resistance they have?  That's just sad.

Speaking of obsessions, in French yesterday we had to describe what people from magazines were wearing.  This one guy walks up, and he has a picture of Harry Potter.  I have a nerd spasm of glee, and afterwards, I clap and shout "J'adore Harry Potter!"  And then my professor gave it to me.  It's from movie one, and it's from a French magazine, so it's like, a collectible in a way.  It's on the front of my binder, along with the pictures of unicorns, and everything else that would indicate that I 12.

So, yesterday, we had our company meeting.  This is how effective everyone is; we run into DV beforehand, and we're like, "well, see you at the meeting."  And DV is like, "...what meeting?"  So we told him, as they hadn't even bothered messaging the professors.  :P

At the meeting, we discussed the light hang that is scheduled tomorrow - from 10:00 am to 11:00 pm.
...
Because a light hang in Niggli is going to take 13 hours.  And they want everyone to buy a wrench for the affair.  Chris and I were like, "well, we could always borrow one from Effie."  But then, we thought that through, and decided, not so much.

What's even more funny is that we were talking and we realized that at the SMACPAC, Effie, Chris and Paul managed to hang an entire concert - as well as specials - on that massive stage within about 2 hours.  And it's going to take 13 hours?  If it's not done by the time I get there, these people need to find a new major.

I sat through a rehearsal last night - and it is so ironic.  The people who know me, know that if anything, with my acting, I am over the top.  I can control (sort of), if need be, but being big is what I do best.  And, besides my raptorisms, this has been stated as my ever-loving flaw.
And, ironically, this show, is huge.  The characters are huge; the acting is huge.  Energy, clean movements, "bigger, faster, funnier," the whole shebang.  They are doing well; but it's just ironic, because at auditions (and ever since I've entered college,) I have focused so much on not doing that.  I still don't think I would have made it in; but all the same, it is just, well, ironic.  I must have repeated that world 60 times, but it really explains the situation.

Regardless of how interesting rehearsal was last night, I will say that the pace monster needed to pay a big visit.  For something like that to sell, and if you are doing that sort of over-the-top show, you HAVE to sell it, they are going to have to jump on the pace.  I was also surprised by how many times "line" was called.  Maybe I just am so used to being yelled at by a certain tyrant.  I don't know.  One of the scenes I saw consisted of some actors who had never really acted in a show there before, and this is the one where I found the most flaws, so I'm sure, with time, it'll improve.

I did get to sit in on Chris' scene, and it was very well done; pace, over the top, energy; all very nice.  As much as I hate to admit it, Chris is a very good actor.  Perhaps the best at WCU.
...of course, look who helped create him.
I'll stop there.  I don't want your head to be able to fit into that massive football helmet.

Peter said I should come tonight as well, once it's a run through; and I might just do that after my French  table.  I dread it guys, because I am the WORST at pronouncing French.  I made a C on my big project in regards to my pronunciation.

D:

Dialects is going very well.  We had to read passages in Dialects, and while everyone else was told how to fix it in general, I received a "that was very good.  Just work on this word..."  I also got a "that's a very proper British; it's like Judi Dench."  Which, is a very nice complement, and great on my part.

Like I said, dance, meh, not so much.

Design with Susan has been an experience these last two days.  Tuesday she fell on the computer cord, which put her in a formidable mood.  The best part about this though was the following conversation:

Susan:  Sorry about that guys; Just took a little fall.  We'll have the computer up and running in a minute.
Volpi:  Who's the jerk who turned it off?  Can't they see that the board obviously says 'don't unplug the computer?'  Gahd, what a bunch of idiots.
Everyone else:  Um, Volpi... it unplugged when she fell.
Volpi: ...

Later in the day, Chris and Volpi literally had to separate because of whispering.  She said "I hear you two all the time, and today I just can't stand it."  Ironically enough, they never sit together.  Susan made Chris sit up front like we were in the 1st grade.  She also flicks the lights for us when she wants us to be quiet.

This is college.  *sigh*

The funny thing though, was this.  Today we had a simple activity.  Measure the room.  The room is basically a rectangle, with a few windows and a few alcoves, but that covers it.  We have to transfer the room onto a sheet of paper.  We had a 1/4 in = 1 foot.  So 1 in = 4 ft.  Easy enough.

I had never seen a group of more frustrated people.  It was like watching me in dance class.  One girl literally had a breakdown, shouted "I can't stand this.  I just can't stand this," and had to leave the class, they were so frustrated.  Then they tried to convert inches into feet, which is as simple as dividing by 12, but they just couldn't figure it out.  Add the 1/4 scale, and that created absolute chaos.  The actors freaked out, the techies thought they had it all in control, but really made everything harder.  So Chris and Volpi went and measured, while I explained all of this basic math to Jacklyn, and we intend on doing the project on our own.

It was in these moments as I blissfully enjoyed the gentle reliability of math, and I relished in the fact that there is something I excel at.  I may not be able to do a chasse-ball-change; but I can solve a quadratic equation.  I have no doubts that I am clever; and for this I am blessed.  (As far as common sense is concerned...meh, not so much.)

For now, this is all I can think to write.  I will post about my hippie experience later when I have the pictures.  Someone took the liberty of filming the entire thing, so, I'll post that when it's up as well.  I hope it's good.

-Me




2 comments:

Lefty said...

Rachel,
This has been one of my favorite blogs of yours. Weren't ALL students required to take Algebra prior to entrance? Thanks for the entertaining stories.

Amanda said...

Honestly, I don't know how they don't know where your blog is. It's only linked to like 100's of other blogs. Well, maybe not hundreds, but I always get to yours by clicking on someone else's link. On well. Your secret is safe with me - they shall never discover it because I told them. :)